I first saw this recipe on Shutterbean and immediately
But this recipe . . . oh, this recipe might as well be called "CLAIRE'S FAVORITE THINGS IN A CAKE."
I took advantage of my dinner guests and baked them this cake. (Printz Charming doesn't eat chocolate cake, so I needed someone to help me out!)
Ingredients. Unsweetened chocolate tastes awful. Please do not try it plain like I did.
Straining the tea leaves. Next time I will use extra tea leaves because I am an Earl Grey Addict. My friend and fellow-Earl-Grey-fan Jim suggested the use of orange zest next time as another way to increase the Earl Greyness. (Bergamot is what gives the tea its unique flavor and orange would be similar to that.) I also have wild ideas of making an Earl-Grey-infused glaze. I need help.
Eggs, sugar, and butter, creamed. Post-melted chocolate addition.
Snowy sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Ta da! Cake batter in a pan. It smelled amazing and tasted amazing too (why yes, I do eat cake batter).
50 minutes later...
I might have patched up part of the cake that stuck to the pan. It happens! (Solution: use Wilton Easy Cake Release or whatever that magic stuff is called. Silly me.)
Put this lovely cake on your best cake plate.
Feel free to get carried away like I did and take photos of your cake plate from silly angles. Earl Grey Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Shutterbean
Serves 10
- 6 Earl Grey tea bags or 2 tablespoons loose Earl Grey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted & cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- confectioners’ sugar
- possible additions: extra tea leaves and/or 1/2 teaspoon fresh orange zest
Heat oven to 350° F. Grease a bundt cake pan.
Brew the tea in the water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags or strain the leaves and set the brewed tea aside.
Beat the butter, eggs, and granulated sugar until fluffy, then beat in the melted chocolate. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the yogurt and brewed tea. Pour into pan.
Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes.
Turn out of the pan and cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.




No comments:
Post a Comment