Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Simple Thanksgiving: The Plan

In one week I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. Is that crazy? Probably. But I am so excited! I have helped my mother and sisters prepare Thanksgiving dinner for as long as I can remember. I have a special fondness for the holiday, especially since my birthday occasionally lands on it. 

I could easily go bonkers and get super stressed though, so I am going to keep Thanksgiving simple. After all, this is a holiday that celebrates thankfulness for what we have been blessed with, not perfection or extravagance.





I have been pinning recipes/ideas and making pages of lists: what we will eat, what I need to buy, a rough timeline of when things need to be done. I bought my turkey (18.28 pounds) yesterday!


I cannot lie; I am mostly excited about the food. Our families will be bringing yummy dishes too and this is (hopefully!) what we will be feasting upon:


The Menu

Dinner:

  • Roast Turkey (using this method from Aimee of Simple Bites)
  • Homemade Gravy
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes (using a delicious recipe from Martha Stewart)
  • Sweet Potatoes 
  • Cornbread Stuffing 
  • Orange Cranberry Sauce 
  • Canned Jellied Cranberry Sauce (a must for my husband)
  • Green Beans with Lemon Butter (another Martha recipe)
  • Dinner Rolls

Dessert:

  • Apple Pie
  • Pumpkin Pie 

Drinks:

  • Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider (recipe from Dreaming All Day)
  • Chardonnay
  • Riesling

No comments:

Post a Comment